Rotary Foundation Global Grant Scholarship
The purpose of the Global Grant Scholarship program is to support international study at the graduate level. This grant model builds on the very best of Rotary's Ambassadorial Scholar history.
Rotary District 9800 supports the Global Grant scholarship program of The Rotary Foundation and will annually fund one scholarship up to the value of US$30,000 to a Scholar selected from a competitive interview process of eligible applicants.
NOTE: Although our district Committee recommends a candidate for a Scholarship, the ultimate approval decision rests with The Rotary Foundation.
Scholar Applicants must be sponsored by a Victorian Rotary Club. The club will assess your suitability based on interview and the completed application form which they will pass to the District 9800 Committee.
Applicants are invited from any Victorian Rotary District but must be usually resident in Victoria. The scholarship is awarded through a globally competitive process and the following criteria are relevant:
- The scholarship will be for an amount of US$30,000
- The course of study must be at an overseas institution
- The Scholarship is for study for a post-graduate degree at a recognised university, preferably for a Master’s degree, usually for 2 years, but can be flexible up to a maximum of 4 years duration.
- The applicant must be proficient in the language of instruction of the host country
- The applicant must not be a Rotarian or a lineal descendant of a Rotarian.
- During the course of study, Scholars are expected to interact with local Rotarians and Rotary clubs and should always be mindful that they serve in the role of ambassadors of D9800 and Rotary to the community where they will be studying.
(Full details are in the download information)
We are seeking candidates with the following attributes:
- An excellent undergraduate degree
- Is pursuing a career in one of Rotary’s six areas of focus
- The ability and drive to forge a link between Rotary and future skilled professionals within their profession or industry, being an area of focus.
- The potential and commitment to participate in Rotary activities.
- Demonstrate personal commitment to community service
- Personal qualities to be a good ambassador for Rotary and Australia
- Demonstrate that the proposed study will benefit the community as well as the Scholar and that the benefits will be sustainable.
- Will maintain a long-term relationship with Rotary
- Must not have commenced the proposed course of study at their selected university prior to applying for the scholarship. However, it is the scholar’s responsibility to gain confirmation of admission to their selected university before the Global Grant will be awarded.
Closing Date for Applications
Applications must be received by Keith Ryall, Chair of District 9800 Global Grant Scholar Committee by 19 March, 2018
TIMELINE FOR SELECTING SCHOLARS
Clubs advertise the grant opportunity and develop a committee for accepting, reviewing and interviewing scholarship applicants according to Global Grant Scholarship Guidelines. Clubs may submit to the District Scholarship Committee applications of proposed candidates who they believe best meet the goals and selection criteria of the Global Grants Scholarship. The District 9800 Committee will arrange for promotion of the Scholarship through Academic and other channels.
March 19 2018
By this date, Rotary Clubs must submit to the District 9800 Scholarship Committee Chair the application from their proposed candidate, including resumes and official academic university transcripts.
Proposed applicants and Sponsor Clubs notified of interview decision and schedule.
Early April, 2018
Applicants will be interviewed by District 9800 Committee
Early May, 2018
Interviewed applicants and Sponsor Clubs will be notified of decision on or before this date. District Scholarship Committee will proceed with the grants application process of The Rotary Foundation. This will involve an on-line application process by the candidate with the assistance of the District Committee. The application cannot proceed unless the candidate has been accepted into the proposed course of study.
Training and Pre-Departure Orientation